Discover the world of oversized mattress sizes, where comfort knows no boundaries. While most of us know standard mattress dimensions, few know the luxurious options in oversized beds for those seeking extra space. With dimensions ranging from 4 to 68 inches larger than a king-sized mattress, these larger-than-life sleep havens are the epitome of indulgence. Though they may require a larger bedroom, oversized mattresses cater to the needs of co-sleeping adults, children, and individuals who crave ample space for movement during sleep.
And let’s not forget our beloved four-legged friends—with an increasing number of dog owners sharing their beds. Oversized mattresses provide the perfect solution for harmonious slumber. Embrace the possibilities of oversized mattress dimensions and sizes and experience a new level of restful bliss.
What Are Oversized Mattress Sizes?
Oversized mattress sizes typically refer to larger mattresses than commonly available ones. While standard mattress sizes vary by country, oversized mattresses are designed to offer extra space and accommodate specific needs, such as taller individuals or those who prefer more room while sleeping. Here are some examples of oversized mattress sizes:
- California King: Also known as Western King, this mattress size is longer and narrower than a standard King-size mattress. It typically measures 72 inches wide by 84 inches long (183 cm by 213 cm), providing extra length for taller individuals.
- Texas King: This is an even larger variant of the California King size. It measures 80 inches wide by 98 inches long (203 cm by 249 cm), offering ample space for couples or individuals who desire an expansive sleeping surface.
- Wyoming King: This is one of the largest mattress sizes available. It measures 84 inches wide by 84 inches long (213 cm by 213 cm), providing a square-shaped sleeping surface. It offers generous space for multiple individuals or those who prefer a vast sleeping area.
It’s important to note that the availability of these oversized mattress sizes may vary depending on the manufacturer and retailer. It’s always a good idea to check with local mattress stores or online retailers to see their options.
Why Choose an Oversized Mattress?
An oversized mattress offers several advantages over standard sizes. First and foremost, it provides ample space for individuals to move around comfortably during sleep. This can particularly benefit restless sleepers or those who prefer a more open sleeping environment. Additionally, oversized mattresses are an excellent choice for couples wanting more room to avoid disturbing each other’s sleep. The extra space also accommodates pets or children who share the bed.
Oversized Mattress Sizes Explained
Oversized mattresses come in various sizes to cater to different needs and preferences. Let’s explore these oversized bed mattress sizes in detail:
Alaskan King Mattresses (108 x 108)
The Alaskan King is the most popular and well-known oversized mattress. It features a square shape and offers ample width and length. This mattress is ideal for families who co-sleep with multiple children or tall individuals who prefer stretching out while sleeping. It is the biggest Alaskan king bed with the longest and widest oversized mattress size. This ensures maximum comfort and space.
Alberta King Mattresses (96 x 96)
The Alberta King is a square-shaped mattress that resembles the Alaskan King but is smaller. Measuring 96 inches in width and length, it provides a similar shape and benefits to the Alaskan King. However, it requires less space. This makes it a suitable choice for individuals who desire the advantages of a bed but have a room size limitation. It’s important to note that the Alberta King is the least common oversized mattress size.
Wyoming King Mattresses (84 x 84)
The Wyoming King is the smallest square-shaped oversized mattress available. With dimensions of 84 inches by 84 inches, it is still spacious enough to accommodate a full family bed couple who prefers co-sleeping with a small child or two adult sleepers who desire extra room. Notably, the Wyoming King is the only oversized mattress size that comfortably fits tall people within an average master bedroom. This makes it a practical option for those with limited space.
Texas King (80 x 98)
The Texas King is an oversized rectangular mattress that offers unique dimensions. It is wider than a standard king-size mattress while providing significant additional length. With measurements of 80 inches in width and 98 inches in length, it caters to tall sleepers who seek a slightly wider sleeping surface or prefer extra length for stretching out comfortably. This mattress is especially suitable for tall individuals or those who enjoy sharing their beds in family beds. It is also suitable for pets positioned at the foot of the bed.
Family Mattress (144 x 80 or 120 x 80)
The family mattress is a rectangular sleeping surface wider than long, offering ample space for multiple sleepers and furry companions. It differs from other mattress sizes by being twice the width of a standard king-size mattress, although it is 4 inches shorter. It’s worth noting that the exact width of the bed frame of the family mattress may vary depending on the retailer from which it is purchased. Due to its generous dimensions, this mattress requires a very large room to accommodate its size and provide optimal comfort for its users.
Family XL Mattress (144 x 84)
The family XL mattress is the largest size available, surpassing all others considerably. It measures the same width as two California king mattresses placed side by side. Designed to fit up to four adults, along with their furry companions, this rectangular mattress demands spacious room for proper placement. Opt for two California king-size box springs or a single, extra-wide, king-size box spring to adequately support the family XL mattress.
Custom mattresses offer a personalized solution for those seeking a tailored sleeping experience. Crafted to individual specifications, these mattresses boast unique shapes and sizes that cater to specific needs. Custom mattresses are particularly suitable for individuals who require custom beds that conform to irregular spaces, such as those found in RVs or boats. Moreover, they cater to those who prefer non-standard shapes and bed sizes, ranging from circles and hearts to half-moons. It’s worth noting that the cost of custom mattresses tends to fluctuate based on their size, with larger mattresses generally commanding a higher price.
How to Choose an Oversized Mattress Size?
Choosing an oversized mattress size requires careful consideration to select the right over-bed size for your needs. Here is a detailed guide to help you make an informed decision:
- Measure Your Bedroom: Before selecting an oversized mattress size, measure your bedroom to determine the available space. Consider the room’s length, width, and height, including any other furniture or accessories present. This measurement will help you determine the maximum mattress size you can accommodate.
- Understand Standard Mattress Sizes: Familiarize yourself with today’s standard mattress sizes. While sizes may vary between countries, the most common sizes are:
- Twin mattress: 39 inches wide by 75 inches long
- Twin XL Mattress: 39 inches wide by 80 inches long
- Full/Double mattress: 54 inches wide by 75 inches long
- Queen mattress: 60 inches wide by 80 inches long
- King mattress: 76 inches wide by 80 inches long
- California King Mattress: 72 inches wide by 84 inches long
- Consider Your Sleeping Space: Assess your sleeping habits and space preferences while sleeping. An oversized mattress provides more room to stretch out and move around comfortably. Consider whether you sleep alone or share the bed with a partner or pets. If you have a sleep partner, consider their preferences as well.
- Evaluate Body Size and Height: If you or your sleep partner are taller or larger in build, you might benefit from a larger mattress size. Extra length and width can provide adequate space to prevent cramping or restriction during sleep.
- Sleep Positions: Different sleep positions require varying amounts of space. Side sleepers, for example, often benefit from more width to stretch their arms and legs comfortably. Back or stomach sleepers might prefer more length to accommodate their body position. Evaluate your preferred sleep position(s) and consider how much space you need to sleep comfortably.
- Test the Mattress Size: If possible, visit a mattress showroom and lie down on various mattress sizes to assess your comfort level. This hands-on experience will help you understand the dimensions and determine the size most suits your needs.
- Consider Room for Movement: If you tend to move around a lot during sleep or have a sleep partner who does, opting for a larger mattress size can minimize disturbances caused by movement. Additional space allows freer movement without infringing on the other person’s sleeping area.
- Bed Frame Considerations: Ensure your bed frame or platform can accommodate your oversized mattress size. Measure the dimensions of your bed frame and compare them to the larger mattress dimensions. Also, check if your bed frame requires a specific size or has weight limitations.
- Budget Considerations: Oversized mattresses are generally more expensive than standard sizes due to their larger dimensions. Consider your budget and compare different sizes’ prices before deciding.
- Consult with a Professional: If you’re unsure which oversized mattress size is best for you, consider consulting with a mattress specialist or salesperson. They can provide valuable insights and guide you toward the best size based on your needs and preferences.
By following these steps and considering your personal requirements, preferences, and sleeping habits, you can choose a big bed with an oversized mattress or a king-size bed that offers ample space and ensures a comfortable sleep experience.
In conclusion, the introduction of oversized mattress sizes has revolutionized the concept of comfort in sleep. By exploring the possibilities of extra space, individuals can now experience ultimate relaxation and rejuvenation. These larger-than-life mattresses provide ample room for unrestricted movement, allowing sleepers to stretch out and find their ideal sleeping positions. Couples can enjoy undisturbed rest with the added space without compromising personal space. Moreover, oversized mattress sizes cater to the diverse needs of individuals, including those who require additional support or simply prefer a more spacious sleeping environment. Embrace the luxury of oversized mattresses and unlock a new comfort level for a truly restful sleep.
Frequently Asked Questions
Common oversized mattress sizes include California King, Wyoming King, Alaska King, and Texas King. These sizes offer more space than traditional options and are popular among individuals or couples who prefer extra room while sleeping.
A California king mattress is approximately 72 inches wide and 84 inches long, making it longer and narrower than a standard king-size mattress. It provides extra length, which benefits taller individuals. Texas king mattresses are another oversized choice, typically 80 inches wide and 98 inches long. It offers generous space for individuals or couples who prefer a larger sleeping surface.
A Wyoming king mattress is an oversized option that measures 84 inches wide and 84 inches long. It offers ample space for individuals or couples wanting a larger sleeping surface. An Alaska king mattress is one of the largest oversized options, measuring approximately 108 inches wide and 108 inches long. It provides significant space, ideal for those who want a spacious bed.
While oversized mattresses may not be as common as standard sizes, they can be found in specialty mattress stores or online retailers. It’s important to check with local mattress suppliers or search online for specific oversized options.
Due to their larger dimensions, oversized mattresses often require bed frames, sheets, and bedding accessories specifically designed to accommodate their size. It’s essential to ensure that the bed frame and accessories are compatible with the chosen oversized mattress.
Regular sheets may not fit properly on oversized mattresses. It’s recommended to look for sheets specifically designed for the dimensions of the chosen oversized mattress or consider adjustable or custom-made bedding.
Generally, oversized mattresses are more expensive than standard sizes due to their larger dimensions and specialized manufacturing processes. The price can vary depending on the brand, materials used, and additional features offered.