In the past, buying a mattress without seeing it in person might have seemed unimaginable. However, nowadays, it has become the norm for most online mattresses. The shift from traditional brick-and-mortar stores to online retail has brought numerous benefits to consumers, including convenience, better value, and a wider range of options. While mattresses require a significant investment, most online companies assure customers of in-home sleep trials and warranty periods.
Nonetheless, the abundance of choices available at your fingertips can lead to a phenomenon known as analysis paralysis. This occurs when the number of options becomes overwhelming, making it challenging to decide. To avoid falling into this trap, it is important to understand the factors that impact comfort and support and to focus on the mattress features and qualities that matter the most to you.
We aim to offer comprehensive guidance on buying a mattress online, including valuable cost-saving tips and other essential considerations when shopping at local mattress stores.
Benefits of Buying a Mattress Online
In recent years, the online mattress market industry has experienced significant growth, and for a good reason. There are several benefits to buying a mattress online, including:
- Extensive Selection: Online retailers offer a vast selection of mattress brands, models, and types, giving you access to many options that may not be available in physical stores.
- Competitive Prices: Online mattress retailers often offer competitive prices and frequent discounts, allowing you to find high-quality mattresses at more affordable prices than traditional brick-and-mortar stores.
- Convenient Shopping Experience: Buying a mattress online eliminates the need to visit multiple stores, deal with pushy salespeople, or spend hours searching for the perfect mattress. You can browse and compare options from the comfort of your own home.
- Risk-Free Trials: Many online mattress companies offer generous trial periods, allowing you to sleep on the mattress in your home and decide if it meets your comfort and support needs. If unsatisfied, you can often return the bed for a full refund.
- Customer Reviews and Ratings: Online platforms provide access to a wealth of customer reviews and ratings, giving you insights into the experiences of other buyers and helping you make an informed decision.
- Convenient Delivery: Online mattress retailers typically offer convenient delivery options, often providing free shipping and delivering the mattress directly to your doorstep.
By understanding the benefits of buying a mattress online, you can make a confident decision and enjoy a seamless shopping experience. In the following sections, we will explore the factors you should consider before making your purchase and guide you through the entire process of shopping firm mattress online here, ensuring that you find the perfect mattress to suit your needs and preferences.
What Should You Know Before Buying a Mattress Online?
Purchasing a mattress online without the ability to see or feel it in person may initially seem risky. But it offers several distinct advantages compared to the traditional in-store buying experience.
Buying Online vs. In-Store
When shopping for new mattresses in physical stores, being able to touch and lie on different mattress models provides obvious benefits. Additionally, sales associates can offer expertise and guide customers toward the right bed. However, buying a mattress online presents its own set of perks. Online retailers typically have lower overhead costs than brick-and-mortar stores, allowing them to offer better bargains to shoppers. Moreover, online stores often have a much more extensive selection of mattresses than their physical counterparts. The convenience of ordering a new bed with just a few clicks saves valuable time and energy.
Know What You’re Looking For
Knowing exactly what you’re looking for is important to make an informed decision when purchasing a mattress online. Consider your sleep position, body type, and any specific health considerations, as these factors can greatly influence which mattress will suit you best. Additionally, your budget, whether you sleep alone or with a partner, and the customer service policies of the retailer are all critical factors to consider.
Set Your Budget
Setting a budget before online mattress shopping is highly beneficial. Online mattresses typically range in price from $500 to $2,000, with options available across different budget ranges, including both budget-friendly and luxury offerings. The value of a mattress depends on various factors such as brand reputation, mattress type, size, thickness, and any specialty features it may possess. Shoppers should also consider potential additional expenses, including shipping and installation fees, as well as the cost of a bed frame or foundation and other necessary bedding accessories.
How to Purchase a Mattress Online
The abundance of options can be overwhelming when searching for an online mattress. However, a practical approach to begin your quest is determining the mattress size, type, and firmness level that aligns with your specific needs and preferences.
Choose a Mattress Type
Each mattress type possesses distinct strengths and weaknesses concerning factors like pressure relief edge support, temperature regulation, motion isolation, and other essential features. While certain mattress types are generally associated with higher price points, it is necessary to note that options are available for every budget range, including both affordable and luxury variants.
True to their name, foam mattresses are exclusively crafted using various types of foam. These mattresses often combine memory foam or softer polyfoam in the comfort layers to provide body-conforming properties. In comparison, denser polyfoam is utilized in the bottom support foam core for added stability.
Foam mattresses deliver exceptional pressure relief by molding to the body contours. Additionally, they are known for effectively absorbing noise and motion, making them suitable for individuals who share the same mattress as a bed. It is worth mentioning that memory foam mattress models can be found at affordable price points, making them a cost-effective choice for many shoppers.
Hybrid mattresses are a fusion of a metal innerspring core and one or more comfort layers. The comfort layers typically consist of memory foam, polyfoam, or latex foam.
The primary concept behind hybrid mattresses is to leverage the advantages of different construction methods. The inclusion memory foam layer of the bed in a box or coiled core enhances bounce and durability, while the substantial comfort layers mitigate pressure buildup. Hybrid mattresses often utilize pocketed coils, individually wrapped, to minimize motion transfer and enhance airflow. Due to their more complex construction, hybrid mattresses are generally priced higher than all-foam options.
Some companies may mistakenly use the terms “hybrid” and “innerspring” interchangeably, which can be misleading for consumers. While both types of mattresses utilize coiled support cores, there are significant differences in their construction and overall performance. Innerspring mattresses generally have thinner comfort systems or a minimal layer of padding beneath steel coils in the cover. These traditional hybrid mattresses and innerspring models are often more affordable but lack the cushioning and pressure relief provided by mattresses with more advanced comfort systems.
Latex mattresses are crafted entirely from natural, synthetic, or blended materials. Natural latex is derived from the sap of rubber trees, while synthetic latex is created using petrochemicals. Blended latex combines both natural and synthetic varieties. All latex mattresses offer a springy feel, but natural latex is typically the most durable option.
Sleepers who desire a balance of contouring and bounce in organic mattresses will often find latex mattresses an excellent choice, especially if they find memory foam mattresses to conform. However, it’s worth noting that natural latex models can be quite expensive, making them less accessible for shoppers on a tighter budget.
Airbeds features a complex design incorporating adjustable air chambers, allowing sleepers to customize the firmness and feel of all foam mattresses in their bed according to their preferences. This makes airbed mattresses an excellent choice for combination sleepers, partners with different sleep styles, or individuals whose firmness preferences change over time. However, it’s worth mentioning that airbeds tend to be relatively pricey, with the average queen-size model ranging between $2,000 and $2,400.
Select a Firmness Level
The scale starts with 1, representing the softest option, and ends with 10, indicating the firmest choice. Typically, mattresses fall within the range of soft (3) to firm (8), with the majority of individuals finding medium soft (4) to firm (7) to be the preferable firmness levels for sleeping positions.
While comfort is subjective, specific firmness levels are generally more suitable for different hot sleepers’ positions and body types. Side sleepers typically gravitate towards a softer mattress that cushions the hips and shoulders. Back sleepers usually require a mattress of medium to firm firmness to promote spinal alignment. On the other hand, back and stomach sleepers usually find firm beds with minimal contouring to be most comfortable.
In addition to sleep position, body weight is an important factor to consider when selecting a foam mattress as a mattress’s firmness and level. Individuals weighing over 230 pounds generally benefit from a firmer mattress that prevents excessive sagging and provides adequate support. On the contrary, individuals under 130 pounds do not sink as much, allowing them to feel supported on a softer mattress.
Determining Shipping and Handling
However, shipping and handling policies differ among most online mattress companies, with some offering complimentary shipping for mattress purchases. Certain traditional mattress companies provide free White Glove delivery. In contrast, others may charge for this service, which includes professional mattress installation and, in some cases, the removal of the old mattress and foundation.
While many online mattress companies offer free shipping within the contiguous United States, orders to Alaska or Hawaii often incur shipping fees. Shoppers need to be aware that shipping fees may sometimes be nonrefundable. The time it takes for shipping varies depending on the destination, carrier, whether the mattress is made to order, and factors like weather conditions or disruptions in the supply chain.
Make the Most of Trials and Warranties
Most online mattress brands and companies provide generous sleep trials and warranties to address the inherent risk or skepticism associated with online shopping for sleep products.
Sleep trial, trials allow customers to try out a mattress before committing to it, providing the option to return it for a full refund if unsatisfied. Sleep trials typically range from 30 days to a year, most falling within the 90 to 120-day range. Some trials may have minimum break-in periods, requiring customers to keep the mattress for a specific duration before initiating a return. It is worth noting that certain companies may charge a processing fee for mattress reviews and returns.
Warranties serve as protection against manufacturing or craftsmanship defects. The specific details of warranties vary depending on the brand, but in most cases, companies will repair or replace a defective mattress at no cost to the customer. The average of buying a mattress under warranty typically spans between 10 and 20 years. Some warranties operate on a prorated basis, meaning the coverage gradually decreases over time.
Understanding the Process of Returns
Sleep trials and return policies work in tandem to provide shoppers with assurance and peace of mind when making a purchase. Numerous online retailers offer customers the option of a full refund within a specified timeframe if the mattress is returned. Some companies even provide complimentary mattress pickup services, eliminating customers needing to handle return shipping logistics. Return policies can vary, so it is crucial to carefully review the terms and conditions before finalizing an online purchase.
Completing Your Purchase
The actual purchase process is often the simplest step in the overall procedure. Once you have reached the desired mattress model’s product page, double-check that you selected the correct size before adding it to your cart. Some companies may offer additional options, such as pillows and bedding bundles, potentially saving you money.
Most online retailers accept payment through major credit cards, while many also provide alternative payment methods such as PayPal and Google Pay. It is essential only to provide your payment information on secure websites. After entering your shipping and billing details and completing the transaction, you will receive an email confirmation containing the specifics of your order. Additionally, most companies typically send a follow-up email notifying you when your order has been shipped.
How to Get the Best Deal on a Mattress
To get the best deal on how to buy a mattress online now, follow these tips:
- Research and compare prices: Research different mattress brands and models to find the one that suits your needs. Look for online retailers that offer a wide range of options and compare prices across multiple websites. Take note of any ongoing promotions or discounts.
- Set a budget: Determine your budget for the mattress purchase. This will help you narrow down your options and avoid overspending. Consider the features and quality you desire within your budget range.
- Sign up for newsletters and alerts: Subscribe to newsletters or follow the social media accounts of online mattress retailers. They often send out exclusive discounts and promotional offers to their subscribers. This way, you can stay updated on any upcoming sales or deals.
- Utilize Coupons and Discount Codes: Take advantage of the vast array of online coupons and promo codes. When visiting a mattress brand’s website, consider subscribing to their email subscription list. Subscribers often receive exclusive access to sales, first-time customer discounts, and special promotions.
- Check for seasonal sales: Watch for seasonal sales, such as Black Friday, Cyber Monday, or holiday promotions. These events often offer significant discounts on mattresses and other home goods. Plan your purchase around these sales to maximize your savings.
- Engage in Thorough Comparison: To ensure you get the best price, compare comprehensively. While some companies exclusively sell mattresses on their websites, you may discover attractive deals on other models by comparing third-party retailers.
- Read customer reviews: Don’t solely rely on price when deciding. Read customer reviews and ratings to understand the mattress’s quality, comfort, and durability. Look for reviews on multiple websites to get a comprehensive understanding.
- Consider bundled deals: Some online mattress retailers offer bundle deals where you can purchase a mattress and other accessories, such as pillows or bed frames, at a discounted price. Assess whether these bundled deals provide value for money.
- Look for free shipping and return policies: Check if the online mattress retailer offers free shipping and returns. This is particularly important because mattresses can be bulky and expensive to ship. A generous return policy ensures you can return the mattress if it doesn’t meet your expectations.
- Take advantage of trial periods: Many online mattress companies provide trial periods, allowing you to sleep on the mattress for a specified period (typically 90-120 nights) and return it if you’re unsatisfied. Make sure to understand the terms and conditions of the trial period before making a purchase.
By following these steps, you can increase your chances of finding the best deal on a mattress online. Remember to prioritize quality, comfort, and price to ensure a good night’s sleep.
In conclusion, the ultimate guide to buying a mattress online equips you with the knowledge and tools necessary for a successful purchase. The convenience, extensive selection, and competitive pricing make online shopping attractive by considering important factors such as mattress type, firmness level, size, materials, and customer reviews. Researching, comparing prices, and taking advantage of trial periods and return policies ensure a satisfactory buying experience. With secure transactions and order tracking, you can look forward to enjoying the comfort and blissful sleep that your new online-purchased mattress will provide. Sleep tight and wake up refreshed!
Frequently Asked Questions
Measure your bed frame or existing mattress to determine the size you need. Most online retailers provide detailed size charts to help you choose the right mattress size.
Consider factors such as mattress type, firmness level, materials, support, motion isolation, and customer reviews to ensure the mattress meets your specific preferences and needs.
Many online mattress retailers offer trial periods and generous return policies, allowing you to return or exchange the mattress if you’re not satisfied. Make sure to review the specific return policy before making a purchase.
Read customer reviews, check for detailed product descriptions, and look for mattresses with customizable firmness options or generous trial periods to ensure you can find the right level of comfort.
Buying a mattress online allows for greater convenience, a wider selection, and often better prices. On the other hand, in-store shopping allows you to test the mattress physically before purchasing.
The key steps include researching mattress types, determining your preferences, setting a budget, reading reviews, comparing options, and making a secure online purchase.
Keep an eye out for seasonal sales, promotional offers, and discounts from reputable online mattress retailers. Additionally, comparing prices and researching different brands can help you find the best deals.