Health Policy Research and Communications Associate
Trust for America’s Health (TFAH) seeks a Health Policy Research and Communications Associate to work with the public affairs team to help write, edit and release policy and public health research. Activities will include conducting policy research, writing portions of policy reports and other materials, and editing, fact-checking and reviewing report and report materials (graphics, charts, news releases, public statements, etc.).
Candidates must have strong research, policy and analytic skills – including the ability to understand federal and state policies; be able to clearly summarize and explain complex policy issues; and exceptional writing and editing skills including experience writing effectively for general audiences.
TFAH is a non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to saving lives by protecting the health of every community and working to make disease prevention a national priority. Some research focus areas at TFAH include prevention, obesity, infectious disease and other public health issues. Examples of TFAH reports and related materials – including projects under the purview of this position - are available at: http://www.tfah.org/reports/. Position reports to Senior Communications Manager.
Minimum Qualifications: three to five years of professional experience. Prior work experience in policy environments and advanced degree in relevant area are preferred (e.g. MPP, JD, Masters of Science in Health Policy).
- Quantitative and qualitative research skills
- Exceptional written communication skills
- Excellent copyediting and data management skills
- Extremely strong attention to detail
- Ability to manage projects, timelines and deadlines
- Ability to translate science and technical issues into general language for policymaker and general audiences
- Ability to identify and analyze sources of information; conduct targeted research; develop evidence to be able to support positions; and summarize and synthesize findings into clear, concise communications materials
- Ability to conduct research independently – including academic and policy sources
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment
- Willingness to be strong team player
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications. To apply, send resume, cover letter and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: MUST SUBMIT LETTER OF INTEREST/COVER LETTER FOR CONSIDERATION.
Health Policy Analyst
Trust for America’s Health (TFAH), seeks a Health Policy Analyst to work on policy development related to prevention and public health. The major components of the work are: conducting policy research; writing policy reports, grants, issue briefs and other materials; developing relationships with key stakeholders; and planning and executing expert policy meetings/convenings.
Candidates must have strong research, policy and analytic skills – including the ability to understand federal and state policies and the policy environments within the health, public health and other sectors; clearly summarize and explain complex policy issues; identify, evaluate and synthesize relevant and timely source material; and write clearly and effectively for both policy and general audiences.
TFAH is a non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to saving lives by protecting the health of every community and working to make disease prevention a national priority. Some focus areas at TFAH include population health, obesity, infectious disease and health equity. Examples of TFAH convenings are available at: http://healthyamericans.org/health-issues/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Future-of-Prevention-Summary_Final.pdf, http://healthyamericans.org/health-issues/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Mental-Health-Promotion-Working-Group-Summary.pdf and http://healthyamericans.org/health-issues/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Local-Health-Trusts-Convening-Summary.pdf.
The position reports to Director of Policy Development.
Minimum three to five years of experience, particularly positions that required research, analysis and writing. Prior work experience in policy environments, preferably health policy. Advanced degree in a relevant area such as public health, public policy or health administration is preferred.
- Ability to identify, analyze and synthesize policy information
- Ability to understand policy environments and tailor writing and projects for non-partisan policymaker audiences
- Ability to independently conduct research using academic and policy sources and develop evidence to support positions
- Knowledge of federal health care programs, especially Medicaid, and a familiarity with health care financing are strongly preferred.
- Ability to translate science and technical issues into concise written material compatible for policymakers and general audiences
- Capacity to manage multiple projects, timelines, and deadlines at once
- Ability to work with and manage relationships with policy development team members, other departments at TFAH, external partners, convening participants and report reviewers
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Willingness to be strong team player
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply: Send resume, cover letter, and salary history via e-mail to:
Trust for America’s Health is an equal opportunity employer. www.healthyamericans.org.