Health Policy Research and Communications Manager
Trust for America’s Health (TFAH) seeks an exceptional individual to manage public policy communications, including the research, writing and development of reports and other materials. Candidate must have strong research and critical analysis skills – including the ability to identify, evaluate and synthesize relevant and timely source material; exceptional communications and writing skills including the ability to summarize and clearly explain complex policy issues; and proficiency in managing/collating/interpreting significant amounts of public health data. Qualitative and quantitative research capabilities are preferred. Must have demonstrated prior experience in developing and writing policy reports and/or briefing materials.
TFAH is a non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to saving lives by protecting the health of every community and working to make disease prevention a national priority. Some research focus areas at TFAH include prevention, obesity, infectious disease and other public health issues. Examples of TFAH reports and related materials – including projects under the purview of this position - are available at: http://www.tfah.org/reports/. Position reports to Vice President of Public Affairs.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Minimum five years of professional research and writing experience.
- Prior work experience in policy environments.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required, advanced degree in relevant area preferred.
- Quantitative and qualitative research skills
- Exceptional written communication skills
- Extremely strong attention to detail
- Ability to manage projects, timelines and deadlines
- Ability to translate science and technical issues into general language for policymaker and general audiences
- Ability to identify and analyze sources of information; conduct targeted research; develop evidence to be able to support positions; and summarize and synthesize findings into clear, concise communications materials
- Ability to conduct research independently – including academic and policy sources
- Ability to understand policy environments and tailoring writing and projects for policymaker audiences
- Ability to work with and manage relationships with external research partners and reviewers
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment
- Willingness to be strong team player
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and salary history via e-mail to email@example.com. No calls or faxes please. Qualified candidates will be contacted to schedule a time to interview. Trust for America's Health is an equal opportunity employer. www.healthyamericans.org.
Government Relations and Outreach Interns
Trust for America’s Health is seeking motivated undergraduate, graduate students, or recent graduates for a Summer internship to work in government relations and external relations/outreach departments in support of policy-related goals and efforts. The interns will have the opportunity to learn about a range of public health-related issues, including how advocacy and research can impact policy change. The interns will work 20-30 hours per week to assist with research, drafting letters, background information and materials, organizing meetings & briefings, and working with databases. The interns will also have the opportunity to attend briefings, hearings, meetings and participate in other organizational efforts.
Candidates should be students or recent graduates in public health, public policy, political science or a related field. Demonstrated interest in public health preferred. Excellent writing and organizational skills are required, as well as the ability to work in a team environment.
To apply, please send a résumé and cover letter to Dara Lieberman at firstname.lastname@example.org.