- Euro Top Materials: Euro tops can be made of various materials such as memory foam, latex foam, cotton, and wool. These materials provide additional padding, support, and temperature regulation, ensuring a more comfortable sleep experience with reduced motion transfer.
- Differences Between Euro Top and Pillow Top: Euro tops are typically firmer and more durable than pillow tops. They are attached to the entire sleep surface of the mattress with reinforced edges, offering better edge support. In contrast, pillow tops are softer and lack the reinforced edges, making them less durable and supportive.
- Pros and Cons of Choosing a Euro Top Mattress: The advantages of a Euro top mattress include added support, reinforced edges for comfortable sitting, and a uniform appearance. However, it may not be as soft as a pillow top, might not provide sufficient pressure relief for those with joint pain, and could be more expensive than mattresses without a Euro top.
A Euro top mattress has an additional foam or fiber layer sewn to the top of the mattress. This layer of padding can be anywhere from 1 to 4 inches thick, and its purpose is to add to the comfort of the mattress. Having a Euro top makes your bed feel more luxurious.
Let’s take a closer look at these toppers and why you should consider choosing a mattress that has one.
Euro Top Materials
Having a mattress topper of foam or some other kind of material creates a comfort layer that conforms to the curves of your body. There are a wide variety of different fabrics and fills a Euro top can contain. As you would with anything, you want to make sure whatever topper you choose is full of high-quality materials. Here is a list of some of the more common toppers:
- Memory Foam: The contouring ability of a memory foam Euro top offers the sleeper’s body plenty of healthy support and comfort.
- Latex Foam: This type of topper is similar to memory foam but with higher firmness levels.
- Cotton: This natural material helps keep your body warm in the winter and cool in the summer. It also provides a soft comfort layer.
- Wool: A natural thermoregulator, wool Euro tops help keep your body at a comfortable temperature, no matter what season it is.
All of these types of Euro tops give you additional padding and support. They also reduce motion transfer, making it easier to sleep undisturbed.
With a topper’s help, it’s easier for your body to find a neutral position. A neutral position is when your neck, spine, and hips are all aligned while lying down. This ensures your body’s weight is distributed, relieving your pressure points.
What is the Difference Between a Euro Top and a Pillow Top?
Euro tops and pillow tops are often confused with each other. The differences between them are fairly subtle, so it’s no wonder. One of the most apparent differences is in how they each feel: Euro tops tend to be firmer, while standard pillow tops are often made of softer materials.
Below are three common differences between these comfort layers.
Attachment to Mattress
The cushion of a Euro top is attached to the perimeter of the mattress, meaning it covers every bit of the sleep surface. In contrast, the pillow top stops just shy of the edge of the mattress.
Euro tops have good edge support, and the rest of the mattress’ surface is fairly soft. Pillow tops have the same level of softness across the whole layer, with no edge support.
Because Euro tops have reinforced edges and are typically firmer than pillow tops, they usually last longer. Most pillow tops aren’t as durable as Euro tops, and an indentation can develop where the sleeper lays every night.
Overall, the Euro top has the potential to last longer, and the reinforced edges ensure you won’t roll out of bed at night. They also make it easier to sit on the side of the bed comfortably. A pillow topper is less durable overall.
Should You Choose a Mattress with a Euro Top?
Euro tops add luxury and support to your mattress. But should you prioritize finding a mattress that has one? Let’s take a closer look at the pros and cons of purchasing a Euro top mattress.
Pros of a Euro Top
- The extra layer of padding supports your body and helps you sleep in a healthy, neutral position. Overall, it helps you get a good night’s sleep.
- Reinforced edges allow you to sit comfortably on the edge of your bed.
- Since a Euro top covers the entire surface of the mattress, it provides complete support and gives your bed a uniform appearance.
Cons of a Euro Top
- Euro tops are not as luxurious or soft as pillow tops.
- This firm mattress topper may not provide enough pressure relief for sleepers who experience joint pain.
- A mattress with a Euro top may be more expensive than one without.
Advantages of a Euro Top Mattress
A Euro top provides an extra layer of comfort and support to the top of a mattress. And since it covers the entire sleep surface of your bed, it provides a uniform appearance. While a mattress with a Euro top may cost a bit more, the extra luxury and comfort may just make it worth the higher price. If you are looking for a mattress with a firm comfort layer, a Euro top bed may be the right mattress for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Euro top mattresses typically wear out slower than either pillow top mattresses or traditional innerspring mattresses. Euro tops usually last about 8-10 years. They last longer because the firm fibers inside the comfort layer don’t compress as easily as the softer fibers in the pillow top; this helps them stay comfortable and supportive for a long time.
Euro top mattresses are an excellent choice for side sleepers. Sleepers who favor their side need a mattress topper made of a supportive material while still being soft enough to contour to the curves of their body. Euro tops provide a layer of comfort that aligns the neck, spine, and hips of side sleepers. This is a healthy, neutral sleeping position.
The main difference between a euro and pillow top mattress is the firmness levels. As the name implies, the pillow top mattress is soft and pillowy, while a Euro top is full of sturdy fibers, creating the firm top layer of the mattress. Because it is firmer, the Euro top lasts longer than the pillow top.
Knowing what kind of mattress is the perfect choice for you depends on your unique sleep needs, preferences, and style. Back sleepers and stomach sleepers benefit from Euro top mattresses because the extra firmness keeps their bodies aligned and in a healthy position. Side sleepers benefit from the added padding that a pillow top provides because it contours to the curves of their body and aligns their spine and hips.
A firm mattress is the best choice if you experience neck pain, back pain, or difficulty breathing. They help you sleep “on top” of the bed, aligning your neck, spine, and hips. Firm mattresses also help keep your airways open.
Because a Euro top mattress is firmer than a pillow top or an average mattress, it is better for sleepers who struggle with back pain. A firm Euro top ensures your body stays in a neutral sleeping position, meaning your neck, spine, and hips are aligned. This position alleviates back pain.