The Trust for America's Health: Annual obesity report released
July 6, 2009
by Gina Traficant
The Trust for America’s Health and the Robert Wood Foundation released its annual report on the nation’s obesity rates July 1st. Here are some of their highlights:
• Approximately 66% of Americans are obese or overweight. Less than thirty years ago that percentage was 15%.
• Mississippi leads the nation in both adult and childhood obesity percentages.
• Colorado had the lowest percentage of obese adults.
• Minnesota and Utah tied with the lowest percentage of obese children.
• Obesity rates increased in 23 states yet no state had a decrease from last year.
• Childhood obesity rates tripled in the last 30 years.
• Nevada is ranked 32nd for obese adults and 11th for obese and overweight children.
View the full story (some sites require registration)